New York News
Severe turbulence injures 5 on LaGuardia-bound flight
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Shortly after takeoff, United flight 1632 from Houston to LaGuardia encountered turbulence. The plane was diverted to Lake Charles, La after the pilot declared an emergency.
"Several people flew up and hit the ceiling of the plane, and then were immediately slammed down to the floor of the plane," said first class passenger Jeff Hornback.
Five passengers and crewmembers were injured and sought medical attention at a local hospital.
The flight landed at La Guardia at approximately 6:11 a.m.
The plane was carrying 76 passengers and five crew members.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, laguardia airport, new york news
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 36 min ago
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath & Beyond
- High winds damage power lines, Bed, Bath & Beyond store 49 min ago
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas