New York News
Severe turbulence injures 5 on LaGuardia-bound flight
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Shortly after takeoff, United flight 1632 from Houston to LaGuardia encountered turbulence. The plane was diverted to Lake Charles, La after the pilot declared an emergency.
"Several people flew up and hit the ceiling of the plane, and then were immediately slammed down to the floor of the plane," said first class passenger Jeff Hornback.
Five passengers and crewmembers were injured and sought medical attention at a local hospital.
The flight landed at La Guardia at approximately 6:11 a.m.
The plane was carrying 76 passengers and five crew members.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, laguardia airport, new york news
- Weather puts damper on Coney Island businesses
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Arrest made in Charles Butler case
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5
- Bethpage Air Show on for Sunday
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos