New York News
Subcontractor critical after being struck by cop at JFK
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A subcontractor was struck and critically injured by a Port Authority Police cruiser at Kennedy Airport Wednesday.
Steve Rich was hit while walking on the airport service road in front of hanger 12 at around 10:35 a.m.
He was rushed to Jamaica Hospital in critical condition.
Rich, who is in his 40s, was changing signage near the pedestrian bridge over the Van Wyck Expressway when he was struck.
The officer behind the wheel of the cruiser was identified only as a Port Authority Police Officer assigned to Kennedy Airport.
He was traumatized following the crash and taken to Long Island Jewish Hospital.
Rich is employed by a sheet metal workers union and hired by North Shore Neon Sign Co of Deer Park, a subcontractor working for an advertising company.
He is believed to have been in the roadway, possibly walking back to his truck to get work tools, when he was struck.
The truck was parked in a bus lane at the time.
The Port Authority, which is investigating the crash, will look at factors including line of sight of the roadway and the speed of the vehicle at the time of impact.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, jfk international airport, pedestrian struck, new york news
- LIRR suspended between Huntington, Hicksville 59 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash 10 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt 46 min ago
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 56 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NYC home invasion robbery suspects caught on camera 29 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat 13 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn;...
46 min ago