New York News
Teen continues recovery after Brooklyn shooting
NEW YORK (WABC) -- His mother calls him a miracle child. And when you hear more about the shooting he survived and the injuries he sustained you'll understand why she calls him that.
He's the teenage Good Samaritan and tonight for the first time a look at his road to recovery.
For the first time, we got a look at 17-year-old Fritz Pascal in the hospital as he recovers from the shooting that nearly killed him.
A week ago he was in critical condition and now he's stable and rapidly improving.
Still for his mother the past 9 days have felt more like an eternity.
"It's been horrible watching your child laying down there. An active child just laying there with all of those tubes coming out of his face, mouth his stomach," says Fritzie Pascal.
She tells Jeff Pegues a 17-year-old football player at Grady High School is regaining his strength and he's able to walk.
Earlier this month he stepped in front of a bullet - meant for one of his friends.
"That's the kind of kid he is. He put his life in danger for someone else," she adds.
That was pascal's 16-year-old friend. Police say he was targeted by robbers near Grady High School in Brighton Beach. The suspects were after a designer bag and one of them fired a shot at the 16-year-old. Pascal intervened trying to help his friend, he was shot in the chest.
We now know how serious his injuries are. According to his family the bullet tore into his stomach, striking the diaphram, the kidney, spleen and lung before finally exiting his back.
As soon as he could talk he told his sister he had no regrets.
"He said he would do it again. He felt like his friend was gonna die that day. If he was not there his friend would have died," said Paulette Pascal.
Pascal has a long road aheah, something that is perhaps a source of encouragement.
And his mother has been by his side almost around the clock. Pascal's sister says her brother is strong.
She says he's a big guy with an even bigger heart.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news, jeff pegues
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance 27 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- Lingering flood waters create commuting headache 28 min ago
- 'Unusual condition' seen before Metro North crash 39 min ago
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river 23 min ago
- 2 men arrested in after incident with Pakistan plane
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash....
23 min ago
- Lingering flood waters create commuting...
28 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos