New York News
Life support decision coming in bus driver beating
BRONX (WABC) -- The family of a school bus driver beaten into a coma is facing a gut-wrenching decision of whether to take him off life support.
Juan DelValle has been at St. Barnabas Hospital in the Bronx since a minor traffic accident turned into a horrific beating.
Police say Delvalle was driving a school bus when he clipped a car's side mirror. Police say the car's owner, ex-con Joey Scott, punched the 65-year-old grandfather into a coma.
Daughter Mariela DelValle says there's little chance her father will come out of the coma.
"I told him, 'Daddy, I love you and I want you to get out of this,'" she said.
Moments later, Scott confronted DelValle and punched him twice in the face.
DelValle collapsed, and his head hits the pavement. He has been in a coma ever since.
"If the man had priors, why was he out?" sister Carmen Perez said. "They knew he had done this before. Why let him go?...He's such a happy man, a loving man. I can't believe I have to see him like this."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, tremont, assault, new york news, carolina leid
- Snowstorm moves into New York area 8 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow 52 min ago
- Snow falling on Long Island 35 min ago
- Snow coming down in New York City 28 min ago
- Off-duty officer killed in Queens after crashing into storefront 47 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro 54 min ago
- Justin Bieber visits Philippine typhoon victims 17 min ago
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers 29 min ago
- Snow coming down in New York City
28 min ago
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
8 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos