New York News
School bus carrying 5 kids, 2 adults overturns
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A school bus carrying five children and two adults collided with a taxi and overturned in Queens Monday morning.
The accident happened at 87th Avenue and 150th Street in the Briarwood section.
A taxi cab passed a red light hitting the mini-bus and tipping it over, police said.
The children were all special education students attending several schools, including PS 80Q.
The bus matron was seriously hurt and is in the intensive care unit at Jamaica Hospital after she was trapped in the wreckage, and several kids were seen being taken from the scene strapped to stretchers. The taxi driver was also brought to the hospital, but all other injuries except the matron were believed to be minor.
Witnesses say the taxi driver may have been on a cell phone and drove through a red light. No charged have been filed against either driver.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, school bus accident, new york news
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded 30 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way 2 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute 25 min ago
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg
- Funeral held for NYPD traffic agent hit by truck
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- US vet, 85, back home after detained in North Korea
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
2 min ago