New York News
Find unique items while helping small designers
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Erin Straine's brand is Uhoo, which has woven bags, made in New York. She usually sells at flea markets, but these days she's doing a month-by-month lease within The 12 Lions Boutique.
Steve Hernandez opened 12 Lions in NoHo, and inside there are about a dozen designers. There's jewelry, skin care and shirts. It is an easy place to find gifts, and each designer rents space.
The upside is they don't have to pay for utilities and other expenses that come with a brick and mortar space.
Across the river in Brooklyn, there is a similar set up at Brooklyn Collective, which was opened by two designers in the Columbia Heights neighborhood.
There are usually between 30 and 40 artists and designers rent space from them.
"Being an artist is a lot of self-promotion," says Jenny Belin.
Interactions at the Brooklyn Collective can lead to sales, and there's plenty to buy.
Almost all the artists are from Brooklyn, but the the shoppers come from all over.
For more on the 12 Lions Studio, visit their website.
For more on the Brooklyn Collective, visit their website.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, new york news, lauren glassberg
- Tornado Warning in parts of Sullivan County 5 min ago
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb?
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid 59 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- FBI shoots man possibly linked to Boston bomb suspects,...
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Connecticut rail service returns to normal
- Funeral to be held Wednesday for slain Hofstra student
- AAA: 31.2M drivers to take Memorial Day road trip
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark about Tiger
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
59 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos