New York News
Firefighters battle heat, humidity in Bay Ridge fire
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Firefighters battling an overnight fire in Brooklyn had to deal with the harsh conditions in addition to the flames.
The four-alarm fire broke out at a two-story house on 81st Street and Colonial Road in Bay Ridge just before 3:30 a.m.
Heavy smoke could be seen pouring from the home.
All the residents were able to escape the flames safely, but at least two firefighters were being treated for minor injuries related to the heat. One was being treated for a headache and nausea.
Firefighters were working to keep the fire from spreading to adjacent buildings, though at least one other home suffered damage.
The heat and humidity posed additional challenges for responders, who struggled to keep hydrated while battling the flames wearing all their heavy gear.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bay ridge, brooklyn, fire, new york news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 37 min ago
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets 35 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
24 min ago