New York News
Man hides camera, targets women, sparks outrage
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A man secretly taking pictures and video of women and posting them online is causing an uproar.
He calls himself John Zippy. He posted the shots on a blog and on YouTube, a channel he named "New York Subway Girls."
Here's how he gets away with it. He takes a Starbucks coffee cup, hides a camera inside of it and begins looking for what he considers attractive, hot women.
Capturing the video appears to have been pretty easy. The women are completely unaware they are being taped.
"I find that disturbing and I guess that's criminal right? You're not allowed to do that," one woman said.
Well that's where it gets tricky. Taping people in public places is not a crime. None of the clips are inappropriate and since the women are oblivious to the fact that they are being filmed, who is going to issue the complaint?
Zippy admits he understand why many people think it's creepy, insisting his motives were pure. One woman admitted to use it's the not asking part that bothers her.
"If I'm going to have my picture taken, I'd rather be ready for it and If I'm a beautiful woman then at least I can make myself look as beautiful as I can," she said.
YouTube was paying attention and stopped Zippy in his tracks, terminating his account.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, subway, starbucks, hidden camera, new york news, kemberly richardson
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Fire inside the Marriott Marquis in Times Square
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide