New York News
Finance Department to use electronic boot on cars
FORT GREENE (WABC) -- Stack up enough unpaid parking tickets and expect the city to literally give you the boot.
Starting Monday, cars with $350 worth of past-due parking tickets that are more than 3 months old, will get an electronic boot instead of the traditional tow.
"This is a small group of people who believe they are above the law. And they don't have to do what all these New Yorkers do and we're going to find you," said Commissioner of NYC Department of Finance David Frankel.
Frankel says electronic boots started Monday in Brooklyn and will eventually be citywide. They are already being used in Chicago, New Orleans and Seattle.
Motorists who ignore parking tickets, loss in court, or those who don't follow through on a payment agreement could get locked in place. They can call a toll-free number, pay tickets and fees by debit or credit card, and then get a code to get it off.
The driver is then responsible for dropping the boot off at a collection center.
Roy Barditch guarantees it won't work.
"What do you do with the boot when you're finished? An angry person will put it through somebody else's windshields," Barditch says.
On the other hand, Harold Alvarez believes it will save the city and drivers time and money.
"It's better than the tow-away because you know the people will pay more that way, but if they put the thing there, a lot of people don't have to pay the $200 to get your car out," said Alvarez.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, parking, new york news, carolina leid
- Woman shot to death in Queens domestic dispute 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 29 min ago
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery 57 min ago
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
29 min ago