New York News
Baseball memorabilia caught up in Mickey Mantle's bankruptcy
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The closure of Mickey Mantle's, the sports bar and restaurant named after the famous Yankee slugger, was especially bad news for longtime Yankees fan and team historian, Marty Appel.
Just days before the court padlocked the troubled businesses' doors, Appel loaned the operators 22 framed pieces of memorabilia to help them out, believing he'd get it all back. However, that didn't happen.
"I don't see where the fairness is in all this, but it's certainly an example of no good deed goes unpunished," said Appel, "nobody does that - it's my stuff. It was marked, I had my name and address labels on it."
But the bankruptcy trustee has said Appell isn't the only one claiming to have personal property inside the restaurant. Attorney Alan Ripka says what is going on is the legal norm.
"For the most part, it's presumed that anything that's in that restaurant are in fact the assets of the restaurant or the corporation that is gone bankrupt and should be utilized to pay bank creditors," said Ripka.
The bankruptcy auction at Mickey Mantle's is set for 11 a.m. Tuesday morning, and Marty Appel's 22 pieces are among the items being auctioned off. He admits they're worth only maybe a couple of thousand dollars, so the value is mostly sentimental. He has now managed to focus on something he says is even more important.
"I started out feeling just awful for the situation, but then I reminded myself that a lot of good people, good friends, lost their jobs when the restaurant closed so you try and put things in perspective," said Appel.
Even losing a beloved baseball card or limited lithograph just somehow doesn't seem as significant.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news, sandra bookman
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 13 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos 12 min ago
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 3 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 1 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
13 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos