New York News
Cheating scandal tarnishes Stuyvesant High School
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One of New York City's most prestigious high schools is dealing with a cheating scandal after a junior was caught snapping pictures of upcoming tests and then sharing the answers with classmates.
The unidentified student allegedly used an iPhone to take pictures of several Regents exams with the answers filled out and then emailed them to at least 50 other students.
He was caught last week when a proctor noticed something suspicious and found the boy's cell phone with the pictures. Cell phones are banned in New York City public schools.
Students who spoke with Eyewitness News were divided on how easy this kind of cheating would be to pull off.
"Well, you have your phone under the table," one student said. "You set it up. (The teacher) looks away. You take it, put the phone down, and that's it."
"How could you do that and then not get caught?" another student asked. "I mean, I'm always going to think I'm gonna get caught."
It's unknown whether the student who took the pictures was paid to provide the answers.
"I think we have to delve in deeper," said Shino Tanikawa, of the Community Education Council. "Why did he do it? Did he need the money? Maybe he needed the money. Or was there something he wanted to do? Or was he just simply playing pranks?"
The student has been kicked out of school. An online petition with more than 250 signatures is asking the principal to reconsider the expulsion.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, regents exam, new york news
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos