New York News
Cheating scandal tarnishes Stuyvesant High School
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One of New York City's most prestigious high schools is dealing with a cheating scandal after a junior was caught snapping pictures of upcoming tests and then sharing the answers with classmates.
The unidentified student allegedly used an iPhone to take pictures of several Regents exams with the answers filled out and then emailed them to at least 50 other students.
He was caught last week when a proctor noticed something suspicious and found the boy's cell phone with the pictures. Cell phones are banned in New York City public schools.
Students who spoke with Eyewitness News were divided on how easy this kind of cheating would be to pull off.
"Well, you have your phone under the table," one student said. "You set it up. (The teacher) looks away. You take it, put the phone down, and that's it."
"How could you do that and then not get caught?" another student asked. "I mean, I'm always going to think I'm gonna get caught."
It's unknown whether the student who took the pictures was paid to provide the answers.
"I think we have to delve in deeper," said Shino Tanikawa, of the Community Education Council. "Why did he do it? Did he need the money? Maybe he needed the money. Or was there something he wanted to do? Or was he just simply playing pranks?"
The student has been kicked out of school. An online petition with more than 250 signatures is asking the principal to reconsider the expulsion.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, regents exam, new york news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92 3 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014