New York News
Cop hurt in University Heights shootout out of hospital
UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS (WABC) -- An off-duty police officer wounded in an early morning shooting Sunday in the Bronx is resting at home after he was released from the hospital.
Investigators say 36-year-old Nelson Vergara was shot twice by Joseph Baez, who was allegedly shooting at a 17-year-old near the officer on the street in University Heights.
Vergara was able to shoot Baez, who was arrested at the hospital, before radioing for help.
Police say Vergara had just finished his shift and was returning home when a group of men started heckling him.
NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly says one even threw a bottle at Vergara, who quickly identified himself as a police officer.
"As he approached the group, a green Honda pulled up to the scene," Kelly said. "A male...exited the vehicle and began firing several times at a man in that group."
Caught in the middle of the crossfire, Vergara was shot in the shoulder and leg. Amazingly, he was still able to squeeze off 11 shots and handcuff the bottle thrower.
Vergara is a 12-year veteran of the department, and a Marine who has served two tours in Iraq. He and his wife have two children.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, police officer shot, shooting, new york news
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members 34 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View" 48 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault 22 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village...
22 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos