New York News
9/11 Memorial reopens Thursday after beam accident
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The September 11th Memorial reopened Thursday after Wednesday's beam accident at 4 World Trade Center sent glass raining down on the sidewalk and pedestrians fleeing for cover.
The FDNY says the crane's weight apparently shifted as the beam was being lifted to 4 World Trade at around 11:30 a.m. Wednesday. It hit windows on the 45th and 46th floors.
The incident happened at the building on Church Street and Liberty Avenue.
No injuries were reported. About 60 firefighters responded to the scene.
Authorities closed Church Street and Liberty Street, and Zuccotti Park was closed while glass and debris were removed. People were also moved from the September 11th Memorial. As of Wednesday night, all street closures were lifted.
John Gallagher, of Tishman Construction Corporation, released the following statement:
"A sudden gust of wind caused a steel load to impact a curtain wall panel on the south side of Tower 4. As a result, some pieces of glass fell onto Liberty Street. Fortunately, the street was closed at the time, and the Liberty Street sidewalk is protected by a construction shed. There are no reports of injuries. We have suspended steel lifts pending an investigation, are inspecting the entire facade of the building, and are reviewing protocols for evaluating weather conditions."
The final steel beam was set atop 4 World Trade earlier this week. The 72-story skyscraper is expected to be the first to open at the site since the twin towers were destroyed in 2001.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, world trade center, new york news
- Officer arrested in firebombing of captain's home 8 min ago
- Heavy rain sparks flash flooding
- AccuWeather Alert: Drenching downpours
- Eyewitness News Live
- Jury deadlocked on Jodi Arias penalty 23 min ago
- Boy attacked by another on city bus, video
- Boy Scouts to accept openly gay boys as Scouts
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Students injured in Brooklyn pepper spray incident
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday
- The New DNA fingerprint: Cell phones
- Photographer chronicles wife's breast cancer battle
- abcnews: 'Extremely Active' Potential For Hurricane... 45 min ago
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale