New York News
Subway hero visits baby he saved in hospital
BEDFORD STUYVESANT (WABC) -- The hero straphanger who rescued a baby after his stroller rolled onto the tracks visited the child he saved at Brookdale Hospital Wednesday afternoon.
The mother and witnesses call Delroy Simmonds a hero, but he modestly says anyone in that same position would have done the same exact thing.
"I just jumped down on the tracks and snatched the baby up," Simmonds said.
Simmonds is thankful the baby he rescued is doing great, with just a few bumps and bruises.
The 30-year-old Good Samaritan says the 9-month-old's stroller fell onto the J line tracks as a train was heading into the Cypress Hills Subway Station Tuesday afternoon.
"The lady came up on the platform with her kids and they sat down on the bench where she was tending to one of the kids and as the strong gust of wind came it just snatched the stroller with the baby on to the tracks," he said.
Simmonds immediately jumped down from the platform and grabbed the boy as witnesses and the boy's mother screamed about the oncoming train.
It stopped just a few feet from where they landed.
"The strap was still on the baby so as I picked the baby up. The baby was still on the stroller, so I just easily picked them up once I did and I put them on the platform," Simmonds said.
The father of two lost his job last year working with underprivileged kids. He was on his way to a job interview when this call to be a hero came his way.
"I hope to say that the whole family is alright and be careful and hopefully stay more safe," he said.
Simmonds missed his job interview because of what happened, but he had another interview on Wednesday and got the job!
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, subway, rescue, new york news, carolina leid
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD commisioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- World Cup teams hoping for luck of the draw 3 min ago
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- Metro-North derailment victim Jim Lovell to be laid to rest
- Freeze takes an icy grip on much of the nation