New York News
Cab crashes into East Village Staples
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One minute customers were shopping in a Staples store in the East Village, the next minute they were on the ground ducking for cover.
Thankfully it wasn't a bomb, it was a New York City cab that blasted through the front window and sent customers into a panic.
At 2:15 on Sunday afternoon, police say a taxi was trying to avoid a bike on Broadway and E. 8th St. when it slammed into the store. Except eyewitnesses say the driver ended up hitting a cyclist as well, taking the biker through the window.
Those on the scene tell Eyewitness News that there were two passengers in the back of the cab, who got a much rougher ride than expected. According to the police report, eight were taken to Bellevue Hospital for non-life threatening injuries.
Police do not believe there was any criminality involved.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, east village, taxi, new york news, lucy yang
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Suspect questioned after body found in container
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76 16 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 19 min ago
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos