New York News
Cab crashes into East Village Staples
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One minute customers were shopping in a Staples store in the East Village, the next minute they were on the ground ducking for cover.
Thankfully it wasn't a bomb, it was a New York City cab that blasted through the front window and sent customers into a panic.
At 2:15 on Sunday afternoon, police say a taxi was trying to avoid a bike on Broadway and E. 8th St. when it slammed into the store. Except eyewitnesses say the driver ended up hitting a cyclist as well, taking the biker through the window.
Those on the scene tell Eyewitness News that there were two passengers in the back of the cab, who got a much rougher ride than expected. According to the police report, eight were taken to Bellevue Hospital for non-life threatening injuries.
Police do not believe there was any criminality involved.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, east village, taxi, new york news, lucy yang
- Officer arrested in firebombing of captain's home 20 min ago
- Heavy rain sparks flash flooding
- AccuWeather Alert: Drenching downpours
- Eyewitness News Live
- Jury deadlocked on Jodi Arias penalty 41 min ago
- Boy attacked by another on city bus, video
- Boy Scouts to accept openly gay boys as Scouts 40 min ago
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Students injured in Brooklyn pepper spray incident
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday
- The New DNA fingerprint: Cell phones
- Photographer chronicles wife's breast cancer battle
- abcnews: 'Extremely Active' Potential For Hurricane...
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale