New York News
Cab crashes into East Village Staples
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One minute customers were shopping in a Staples store in the East Village, the next minute they were on the ground ducking for cover.
Thankfully it wasn't a bomb, it was a New York City cab that blasted through the front window and sent customers into a panic.
At 2:15 on Sunday afternoon, police say a taxi was trying to avoid a bike on Broadway and E. 8th St. when it slammed into the store. Except eyewitnesses say the driver ended up hitting a cyclist as well, taking the biker through the window.
Those on the scene tell Eyewitness News that there were two passengers in the back of the cab, who got a much rougher ride than expected. According to the police report, eight were taken to Bellevue Hospital for non-life threatening injuries.
Police do not believe there was any criminality involved.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, east village, taxi, new york news, lucy yang
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader hit and killed by truck, driver charged 31 min ago
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel 13 min ago
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes 10 min ago
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 54 min ago
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing 24 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- Third grader hit and killed by truck,...
31 min ago