New York News
Residents displaced in Brooklyn building collapse
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Portions of a three-story brownstone building in Brooklyn collapsed early Monday, but police say all residents escaped without injury.
The collapse happened around 1:30 a.m. on Carroll Street in the Carroll Gardens section. Authorities say the side wall from the top floor to the foundation collapsed down in an area between the building and a school located next to it.
One family, including three children, was inside the apartment building at the time, but they escaped unharmed. Residents in three other buildings nearby also had to be evacuated as inspectors checked the stability of their buildings. At least 27 residents were unable to re-enter their apartments.
Police say work had previously been done in the building, but no construction was going on in the area at the time. City building inspectors are investigating.
Officials have made the decision to completely demolish the 95-year-old building, but there are some concerns about the effect that would have on the neighboring buildings. The structure, loaced at 241 Carroll Street, will be torn down later Monday. Vacate orders have also been issued for 243 Carroll Street, 240 Carroll Street, 115 First Place and 117 First Place as a precaution.
The cause of the collapse remains under investigation. The building has no outstanding complaints nor violations, and there are no outstanding work permits issued for any construction at the building.
Subway trains on the G and F lines were bypassing the area while officials surveyed the building's stability, but regular service resumed just after 6 a.m.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, carroll gardens, collapse, new york news
- Newark bus crash leaves 9 hurt, 1 critically 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark 15 min ago
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013 10 min ago