New York News
FDNY to burn down 20 vacant homes on Governors Island
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Fire officials say house fires have changed, and the FDNY will burn down 20 vacant homes on Governors Island to evaluate new tactics.
The usual plan of attack is to get a man on the roof to open a hole and allow hot gases and smoke to escape.
But experts say modern furniture, with plastic filling, burns like gasoline.
The FDNY may change its techniques based on the results, and that could inspire changes in fire departments across the country.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, fdny, fire, new york news
- Newark bus crash leaves 9 hurt, 1 critically 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark 13 min ago
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013 8 min ago