New York News
FDNY to burn down 20 vacant homes on Governors Island
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Fire officials say house fires have changed, and the FDNY will burn down 20 vacant homes on Governors Island to evaluate new tactics.
The usual plan of attack is to get a man on the roof to open a hole and allow hot gases and smoke to escape.
But experts say modern furniture, with plastic filling, burns like gasoline.
The FDNY may change its techniques based on the results, and that could inspire changes in fire departments across the country.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, fdny, fire, new york news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 11 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife 21 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 13 min ago
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Photos: Easter 2014 Around the World
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
11 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos