New York News
Accused Cashman stalker makes case for bail
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A woman charged with extorting thousands of dollars from Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has raised money for bond after five months in jail, but prosecutors are raising questions about whether or not she should be released.
Caroline Meanwell is putting everything she owns on the line to get her daughter out on bail. Louise Neathway, 37, has been in Rikers since February, accused of stalking and shaking down Cashman after an extra-marital affair between the two allegedly soured.
Prosecutors on Tuesday questioned whether Neathway who has a history of harassing men, also threatened her own mother to put up the $300,000 bond, claiming the daughter has a history of "extortive behavior."
Her mother vehemently denied it.
The District Attorney's office has not yet signed off on the bail package, saying they want to speak to Meanwell personally to make sure her offer really is voluntary. She says she'll talk to them, as long as she has an attorney with her.
Meanwhile, sources say investigators with the Manhattan DA's office, along with officials from Hunterdon County, raided Caroline Meanwell's home. Investigators took computers from the home, according to sources. The family is said to be outraged.
Both sides will be back at criminal court Thursday morning.
Neathway has pleaded not guilty to the charges, saying she and Cashman had a consensual, nine-month affair.
(This story includes some information from The Associated Press.)
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brian cashman, louise neathway, extortion, new york yankees, new york news, sarah wallace
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death 5 min ago
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- Charges expected in fraternity death
5 min ago