New York News
Mother arrested in deaths of 2 kids in the Bronx
NEW YORK -- Police say a woman who turned on the gas in her Bronx apartment and slit her own wrists has been arrested in the deaths of her two children.
Lisette Bamenga was arrested Saturday in the deaths of her 5-year-old son Trevor Noel Jr. and her 4-month-old daughter Lillian Noel.
The children were found shortly before midnight Thursday when police responded to a 911 call of a gas leak.
Their 29-year-old mother was found in the apartment with minor lacerations to her wrists.
Police said she left a note and was attempting a murder-suicide.
Published reports say Bamenga was a city schoolteacher. No information on an attorney was immediately available.
A security guard who works at the building reportedly called police after he smelled gas. Authorities responded to the large apartment building and made the discovery.
The woman's husband, and NYPD officer, returned home shortly thereafter, and witnesses say he immediately broke down in tears.
No other residents of the building were injured or evacuated.
Investigators initially thought the deaths were the result of a gas leak, but a note was found in the apartment indicating they were a murder-suicide attempt.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, child death, gas leak, murder suicide, new york news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 46 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 28 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 29 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss 6 min ago
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning
- Motorists line up at gas stations, prepare...
29 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
46 min ago
- NYC Agencies preparing for first snowfall...
41 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos