New York News
Sketch released of suspect in police officer shooting
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The NYPD has released a sketch of the suspect wanted for shooting a police officer in a high-rise apartment building on the Lower East Side early Thursday.
The officer, 30-year-old Brian Groves, was hit in his bullet-resistant vest on the 20th floor of the building on Essex Street just before 3:45 a.m.
He was rushed to Bellevue Hospital with a non-life threatening injury.
A large number of police officers descended on the apartment building, operated by the New York City Housing Authority. They were searching the building for the suspect, who may have fled into a stairwell.
He was described as a man in his 20s, approximately 5-foot-9, wearing a black T-shirt and red shorts. His hair is in corn rows.
Groves and his partner were pursuing the suspect down the stairs when the man turned and fired one shot at the officer's heart. The vest saved his life. Groves returned fire, but it was unclear if the suspect was hit.
Groves has been assigned to the Housing Bureau since he joined the department in 2005. He is the father of two young daughters.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, lower east side, police officer shot, new york news
- Islam at center of 9/11 Memorial criticism
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 11 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Gunfire in Central Islip after drug deal goes bad
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
11 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos