New York News
Store owner found murdered in Bay Ridge
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police are searching for suspects in the murder of a store owner in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.
Police say they received a 911 call late Friday night that 65-year old Mohamed Gebeli was unconscious on the floor of his clothing store, called Valentino Fashion.
He had been shot in the neck and was rushed to Lutheran Medical Center, but was pronounced dead on arrival.
Authorities blocked off the area as friends and neighbors came out to see what had happened.
As night turned to day, the investigation continued.
Family members overcome with grief struggled and consoled each other outside the shop.
We went to Gebeli's home, but his family told us they were too distraught to talk.
Chris Kargas owns the cleaners across the street from Valentino Fashion and was friends with Gebeli, an Egyptian who Kargas says has owned this shop for the last four years.
"He was a nice guy, a family guy," said Kargas. He was always joking around."
It's unclear whether there is any surveillance video from the scene.
Neighbors told us they believe Gebeli had a security camera inside the shop, but police have not yet confirmed it.
Residents of the neighborhood say it is a peaceful and quiet area.
"I've lived here 18 years," said one resident. "First time I've ever seen something like this."
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bay ridge, brooklyn, murder, new york news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow begins falling in New Jersey 1 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how! 55 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes 13 min ago
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Tiempo on WABC-TV