New York News
2 arrested in shooting of 3-year-old Brooklyn boy
BEDFORD-STUYVESANT (WABC) -- In a heartbeat, the landscape in the Bed-Stuy section of Brooklyn changed from a happy playground to a toddler shot.
On Monday night, Eyewitness News spoke exclusively with the victim's family while police locked up two of the three suspected gunmen.
On Sunday afternoon, 25-year-old Tiffany Monagas, who is nine months pregnant, took her two boys out into the courtyard to cool off in the sprinklers at the Roosevelt Houses in Bedford-Stuyvesant. It was also where some gunmen decided to settle their dispuite. Three-year-old Isaiah Rivera was caught in the sudden crossfire.
After keeping the toddler in the hospital overnight, Eyewitness News is told doctors decided not to remove the pieces of metal in his leg.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg visited Rivera Monday night, while detectives arrested 20-year-old Stanley Williams and 22-year-old Antonio McCloud. Both were charged with attempted murder.
Police are still searching for 20-year-old Jashid Chambers. While the victim's family members are grateful for the arrest, they know more needs to be done.
Rivera's father says he is now organizing an anti-violence rally for later this week. Families know all too well that until the thugs lay down their guns, everyone is vulnerable.
Overall, there has been a 12 percent jump in shootings this year. There have been 734 shootings through July 8. There were 653 in that same span in 2011..
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bedford-stuyvesant, child shot, shooting, new york news, lucy yang
- I-5 bridge collapses into Skagit River
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Actress Amanda Bynes arrested in Midtown
- Heavy rain sparks flash flooding
- Officer arrested in firebombing of captain's home
- Jury deadlocked on Jodi Arias penalty
- Boy attacked by another on city bus, video
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Anthony Weiner starts stumping in mayoral bid
- Rangers stay alive with OT goal against Bruins
- abcnews: 'Extremely Active' Potential For Hurricane...
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma