New York News
2 arrested in shooting of 3-year-old Brooklyn boy
BEDFORD-STUYVESANT (WABC) -- In a heartbeat, the landscape in the Bed-Stuy section of Brooklyn changed from a happy playground to a toddler shot.
On Monday night, Eyewitness News spoke exclusively with the victim's family while police locked up two of the three suspected gunmen.
On Sunday afternoon, 25-year-old Tiffany Monagas, who is nine months pregnant, took her two boys out into the courtyard to cool off in the sprinklers at the Roosevelt Houses in Bedford-Stuyvesant. It was also where some gunmen decided to settle their dispuite. Three-year-old Isaiah Rivera was caught in the sudden crossfire.
After keeping the toddler in the hospital overnight, Eyewitness News is told doctors decided not to remove the pieces of metal in his leg.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg visited Rivera Monday night, while detectives arrested 20-year-old Stanley Williams and 22-year-old Antonio McCloud. Both were charged with attempted murder.
Police are still searching for 20-year-old Jashid Chambers. While the victim's family members are grateful for the arrest, they know more needs to be done.
Rivera's father says he is now organizing an anti-violence rally for later this week. Families know all too well that until the thugs lay down their guns, everyone is vulnerable.
Overall, there has been a 12 percent jump in shootings this year. There have been 734 shootings through July 8. There were 653 in that same span in 2011..
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bedford-stuyvesant, child shot, shooting, new york news, lucy yang
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow alert issued for New York City 38 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire 1 min ago
- Photos: Yaphank Church Fire 4 min ago
- Firefighters battle Washington Heights building fire 12 min ago
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Staten Island buyback collects nearly 100 guns
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning
- Newtown groups open week of 'acts of kindness'
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia