New York News
Taxi commission hears testimony on fares
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission has been hearing testimony about possible taxi fare hikes.
The board votes Thursday on a proposed plan that would increase the average fare by 17 percent.
Drivers and owners gave most of the testimony at a hearing Monday.
Most agreed on the need for a fare hike. But disagreement arose over another issue.
This proposal, if passed, would not increase the leasing fee paid by drivers.
Michael Woloz of the Metropolitan Taxicab Board of Trade says giving drivers a break would burden fleet owners, who already have a lot of expenses.
Members of the New York Taxi Workers Alliance lined the back of the room holding signs saying they should not have to pay more.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, taxi, new york news
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini dies at 51 13 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Upstate NY men accused of trying to make X-ray weapon
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim
- Whistle-blower taped guards sleeping at JFK airport
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
24 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos