New York News
Wounded Brooklyn teen dies on 15th birthday
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 15-year-old boy who had been clinging to life since he was shot in the head in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn on June 27 has died, on his birthday according to his mother.
Natasha Christopher tells Eyewitness News that her son, Akeal, succumbed to his injuries at Brookdale Hospital.
Akeal Christopher was shot in the back of the head on Cornelia Street just after 11 p.m. Witnesses say they heard at least four or five shots, and the bullet reportedly went straight through and exited out his forehead.
"I just heard four pops, and then just screaming," eyewitness Guadalupe Estrella said. "It seemed like he had a bullet hole right between the eyes. Right between the eyes."
Estrella, a certified EMT, ran from her home down the block and tried to save Christopher with CPR. She also cleared his airway, using her gold ring to keep his mouth open while giving him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and performing chest compressions.
Investigators are looking into whether the shooting was the culmination of an earlier dispute with another person over a girl.
Police say Christopher had just left a party with seven friends when they were approached by two other teens wearing hoodies. They asked the group about the girl and what gang they belonged to. That's when Christopher and his friends ran away scared and gunshots rang out.
"A kid said my brother's been shot," a witness said. "He was crying, he was emotional. One of them, I guess the kid's mother, she was also emotional."
Christopher graduated from middle school earlier in the week.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bushwick, shooting, new york news
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos