New York News
UES parking garage attendant drove with suspended license
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Upper East Side parking garage attendant who drove an SUV down an empty elevator shaft was driving with a suspended license.
21-year-old Steven Morales was charged with aggravated unlicensed operator of a motor vehicle. Morales was charged Tuesday afternoon, while hospitalized at New York Presbyterian Hospital.
After being treated for his injuries, he was released into police custody, and is expected to be arraigned in Lower Manhattan later today.
The accident happened inside the East 76th Street parking garage at 9:45 a.m.
The Lexus SUV went into the elevator shaft backwards.
Emergency workers freed Morales driver about an hour after the accident.
A second person, a customer, was being treated for a minor injury.
The vehicle was removed from the shaft just before noon.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, upper east side, accident, new york news
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash 46 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather...
46 min ago