New York News
Rally to stop the violence in Brooklyn
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There are new calls for action after another shooting in Brooklyn.
A man was shot in the eye during a fight on a crowded basketball court on Schaefer Street in Bushwick just after 8 p.m. Thursday, and a community advocate calling for change.
The gunman managed to escape, and no arrests have been made.
The incident took place in the same neighborhood where 3-year-old Isaiah Rivera was grazed by a bullet while playing in a park sprinkler earlier this week.
The community came together on Wednesday night, and the boy's father had a message for the community.
"This needs to stop," he said. "This needs to stop today."
That was just one of nearly 80 shootings in the past week, prompting NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly to criticize community activists for their lack of outrage over illegal handguns.
"We have not had a demonstration about this 3-year-old shot," Kelly said. "We haven't had a demonstration about the level of violence."
There was outrage in the community, but it was all directed at Kelly's remarks. Leaders are angry at police tactics they say target minorities, as well as government cutbacks that limit their opportunity.
"The failure to invest in people who look like me, and what you see is wasted potential and blood at your door," New York City Councilwoman Leticia James said.
The 24-year-old victim in Thursday's shooting is expected to survive.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bushwick, shooting, new york news
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Metro-North: train outage expected for days 20 min ago
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Sunday's Yankees vs. Jays game postponed due to weather
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- 3 in custody in connection to Yonkers man's death
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- President Obama gives speech to Morehouse graduates
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers