New York News
Rally to stop the violence in Brooklyn
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There are new calls for action after another shooting in Brooklyn.
A man was shot in the eye during a fight on a crowded basketball court on Schaefer Street in Bushwick just after 8 p.m. Thursday, and a community advocate calling for change.
The gunman managed to escape, and no arrests have been made.
The incident took place in the same neighborhood where 3-year-old Isaiah Rivera was grazed by a bullet while playing in a park sprinkler earlier this week.
The community came together on Wednesday night, and the boy's father had a message for the community.
"This needs to stop," he said. "This needs to stop today."
That was just one of nearly 80 shootings in the past week, prompting NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly to criticize community activists for their lack of outrage over illegal handguns.
"We have not had a demonstration about this 3-year-old shot," Kelly said. "We haven't had a demonstration about the level of violence."
There was outrage in the community, but it was all directed at Kelly's remarks. Leaders are angry at police tactics they say target minorities, as well as government cutbacks that limit their opportunity.
"The failure to invest in people who look like me, and what you see is wasted potential and blood at your door," New York City Councilwoman Leticia James said.
The 24-year-old victim in Thursday's shooting is expected to survive.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bushwick, shooting, new york news
- At least 8 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village 9 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting 23 min ago
- Worker pulled from waist-deep mud in Queens trench
- One of US FBI's 10 most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- NSA director says plot against Wall Street foiled
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food 18 min ago
- Aaron Hernandez' home searched in murder investigation 58 min ago
- House passes far-reaching anti-abortion bill
- New York City redesigns flood map in Sandy's wake
- Photos: East Village bodega crash 24 min ago
- Photos: FDNY works to rescue man trapped in trench