New York News
Rally to stop the violence in Brooklyn
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There are new calls for action after another shooting in Brooklyn.
A man was shot in the eye during a fight on a crowded basketball court on Schaefer Street in Bushwick just after 8 p.m. Thursday, and a community advocate calling for change.
The gunman managed to escape, and no arrests have been made.
The incident took place in the same neighborhood where 3-year-old Isaiah Rivera was grazed by a bullet while playing in a park sprinkler earlier this week.
The community came together on Wednesday night, and the boy's father had a message for the community.
"This needs to stop," he said. "This needs to stop today."
That was just one of nearly 80 shootings in the past week, prompting NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly to criticize community activists for their lack of outrage over illegal handguns.
"We have not had a demonstration about this 3-year-old shot," Kelly said. "We haven't had a demonstration about the level of violence."
There was outrage in the community, but it was all directed at Kelly's remarks. Leaders are angry at police tactics they say target minorities, as well as government cutbacks that limit their opportunity.
"The failure to invest in people who look like me, and what you see is wasted potential and blood at your door," New York City Councilwoman Leticia James said.
The 24-year-old victim in Thursday's shooting is expected to survive.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bushwick, shooting, new york news
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest 48 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege 55 min ago
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Lonely Michigan boy gets GMA surprise party 50 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid...
48 min ago
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
55 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos