New York News
Rally to stop the violence in Brooklyn
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There are new calls for action after another shooting in Brooklyn.
A man was shot in the eye during a fight on a crowded basketball court on Schaefer Street in Bushwick just after 8 p.m. Thursday, and a community advocate calling for change.
The gunman managed to escape, and no arrests have been made.
The incident took place in the same neighborhood where 3-year-old Isaiah Rivera was grazed by a bullet while playing in a park sprinkler earlier this week.
The community came together on Wednesday night, and the boy's father had a message for the community.
"This needs to stop," he said. "This needs to stop today."
That was just one of nearly 80 shootings in the past week, prompting NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly to criticize community activists for their lack of outrage over illegal handguns.
"We have not had a demonstration about this 3-year-old shot," Kelly said. "We haven't had a demonstration about the level of violence."
There was outrage in the community, but it was all directed at Kelly's remarks. Leaders are angry at police tactics they say target minorities, as well as government cutbacks that limit their opportunity.
"The failure to invest in people who look like me, and what you see is wasted potential and blood at your door," New York City Councilwoman Leticia James said.
The 24-year-old victim in Thursday's shooting is expected to survive.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bushwick, shooting, new york news
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military 16 min ago
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 18 min ago
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Volunteers give Vietnam Vet special holiday gift 53 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos