New York News
Bloomberg blasts NYCLU over stop and frisk lawsuit
NEW YORK (WABC) -- New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is defending the NYPD's stop and frisk policy.
At The Greater Allen AME Cathedral in Queens, Bloomberg lashed out at the New York Civil Liberties Union for its lawsuit to try and end the program.
"I don't know how we are going to have the NYCLU or the courts on the streets every place," he said. "They sit there and they pontificate and they complain, but they don't do anything. Our police officers put their lives on the lines every single day to protect you and me and our children and grandchildren."
The mayor says stop and frisk has taken thousands of illegal guns off the streets.
Critics argue it unfairly targets black and latino men.
The NYCLU responded to the mayor's comments by saying, "It's a lot easier to trash the NYCLU than to acknowledge the widespread dissatisfaction the community feels" with the NYPD.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, nypd, stop and frisk, new york news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick roads 45 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa 7 min ago
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment 38 min ago
- New Jersey black bear hunt set for Monday
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California 56 min ago
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos