New York News
Bus driver breaks child's fall from 3rd story window
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It is a miracle a 7-year-old girl wasn't badly hurt or even worse when she fell from her third story apartment.
Her guardian angel was standing underneath to catch her, and that angel is a New York city bus driver.
Cell phone video taken by a resident of the Coney Island houses shows a 7-year-old girl jumping up and down on an air conditioning unit in a third-story window.
WARNING - VIDEO COULD BE SEEN AS GRAPHIC: WATCH VIDEO
A man standing nearby quickly raced underneath her as the young girl slipped and fell. She tumbled down three stories before he broke her fall and she landed in the bushes below.
"I saw her in the hospital, she doesn't have a scratch on her," Good Samaritan Steven St. Bernard said.l
The 52-year-old MTA bus driver and father of four says he was just in the right place at the right time.
"It feels good now to know that I did something," he said.
Sources tell Eyewitness News that the 7-year-old girl is autistic and managed to perch herself on the AC by pushing through one of the accordion pieces that holds the unit to the window.
"She did hit the bushes and the ground a little, but not straight on because of his arms," eyewitness Latasha Marcus said.
St. Bernard's has a 7-year-old daughter of his own. He tore a tendon in his left arm saving the girl from more serious injuries.
Police tell Eyewitness News they do not believe the parents of the little girl did anything criminal.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, coney island, new york news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming 8 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 21 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 19 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 18 min ago
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest 19 min ago
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
19 min ago
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega...
18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup...
8 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos