New York News
Exclusive: Alleged ticket-fixing cop placed in lockdown
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The family of the NYPD cop accused of conspiring to murder a witness is outraged. They say they've been unable to reach Jose Ramos for days, because he is under a 23-hour lockdown. That order, apparently signed late Friday.
The Bronx District Attorney's office is not commenting on the order, which has been sealed. Sources tell us it was apparently signed by a judge just before closing time on Friday afternoon. The order basically means Jose Ramos can't communicate with anyone except his attorneys.
"Nothing has been proven, so the fact that he's being sentenced to a 23-hour lockdown is ridiculous," Nicole Ramos said.
Nicole is the 20-year-old daughter of Jose Ramos, the NYPD cop at the center of the Bronx ticket fixing scandal. Last week, the veteran officer was indicted on new charges of conspiring to hire a hitman to murder a potential witness against him. Prosecutors also charged Ramos' wife, Wanda Abreu, in connection with the alleged plot.
Sources say Ramos, who has been held at Rikers Island $500,000 bond since his original arrest last October, was moved to the Manhattan Detention Center on Friday night, and placed in 23-hour lockdown, meaning his only contact is with his attorneys. Before the lockdown, Ramos, who in February, sat down with me for an exclusive interview, called me from Rikers to deny he ever said anything about killing or hurting anyone. "He cannot call, he cannot write, he cannot get visits," Nicole said. "It like they're basically taking his voice away. He can't speak to people, tell them what's going on, tell them what he wants. I am his voice you know. He has a family who can speak for him on the outside and we don't feel like his part of the story should be unheard."
His attorneys say they only learned of the order, which was sealed by the Judge in the case, on Saturday.
"I've never heard of it before with this type of case. This is an outrage," Ramos' attorney Juan Pablo Vegaromeo said.
If you have a tip about this or any other issue you'd like investigated, please give our tipline a call at 877-TIP-NEWS. You may also e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, jose ramos, crime, murder, murder for hire, new york news, sarah wallace
- Actor James Gandolfini dead at 51
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning 7 min ago
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx 9 min ago
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- American Medical Association calling obesity a disease
- Body found near home of Patriots' Aaron Hernandez was homicide... 22 min ago
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos