New York News
Man posing as cop runs scam to steal cell phones
BRONX (WABC) -- A man posing as a cop in the Bronx is running a scam on pedestrians in order to steal their cell phones. It has happened at least five times.
The most recent scam happened July 2 outside Monroe College in the University Heights section of the Bronx.
A man claiming to be a police officer approached an 18-year-old victim and asked for his cell phone. The so-called cop then left to check if the phone had been stolen. Problem is, the guy wasn't a cop and he never returned with the cell.
Police believe a Hispanic man with a mole on his left cheek and tattoos on both forearms has preyed on five teenagers since May. The other four victims are young girls who are 14 and 16 years old.
His first theft happened on May 5 at Oval Park in Williamsbridge. Eyewitness News is told he targeted a 14-year-old girl in broad daylight. That was the last she saw of her phone.
Police tell Eyewitness News that the man they are looking for would quickly flash some kind of badge at the teenagers, and were all told that there were five phones stolen during the last three months.
All the incident occured within the 52nd precinct.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, new york news, lucy yang
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role 51 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014