New York News
JetBlue pilot injured in laser-pointer incident
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Federal agents are investigating a laser-pointing incident that injured a pilot flying into New York City.
A green laser went through the windshield of a plane flying from Syracuse to Kennedy Airport Sunday night.
The incident happened near Islip.
The pilot suffered a minor eye injury, and even with that, he landed the plane safely.
Pointing a laser at an aircraft became a federal crime last year, with violators subject to an $11,000 fine.
More than 1,500 laser incidents have been recorded this year.
Laser pointers are also subject to state laws in some cases. A Massachusetts man was sentenced to three years in prison in 2011 for shining a green laser at a Massachusetts State Police helicopter in 2007.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, jetblue, air travel, new york news
- Woman dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session 43 min ago
- MTA launches new apps for LIRR, Metro-North riders
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills 38 min ago
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300 11 min ago
- City Council passes plastic foam,...
38 min ago