New York News
Metropolitan Museum announces record attendance
NEW YORK -- New York City's Metropolitan Museum of Art had a record number of visitors during the fiscal year that ended June 30.
It says 6.28 million people came to see its exhibitions and new galleries. That's 600,000 more visitors than in fiscal 2011 and the highest attendance in more than 40 years.
The fiscal 2012 figure includes attendance at The Cloisters museum and garden, the Met's branch for Medieval art.
The Met says visitors were drawn to its new American Wing Galleries for Paintings, Sculpture and Decorative Arts and also to its new galleries for Islamic art.
It said attendance was strong for a number of its exhibitions. They included "The Steins Collect: Matisse, Picasso and the Parisian Avant-Garde" and "The Renaissance Portrait from Donatello to Bellini."
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall