New York News
Metropolitan Museum announces record attendance
NEW YORK -- New York City's Metropolitan Museum of Art had a record number of visitors during the fiscal year that ended June 30.
It says 6.28 million people came to see its exhibitions and new galleries. That's 600,000 more visitors than in fiscal 2011 and the highest attendance in more than 40 years.
The fiscal 2012 figure includes attendance at The Cloisters museum and garden, the Met's branch for Medieval art.
The Met says visitors were drawn to its new American Wing Galleries for Paintings, Sculpture and Decorative Arts and also to its new galleries for Islamic art.
It said attendance was strong for a number of its exhibitions. They included "The Steins Collect: Matisse, Picasso and the Parisian Avant-Garde" and "The Renaissance Portrait from Donatello to Bellini."
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- UK: Victim in London attack was serving soldier 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Suspects in New York-Canada train plot due in court 42 min ago
- West Point soldier charged with videotaping women 36 min ago
- Truck driver helps catch hit-and-run suspect in Queens 30 min ago
- Oklahoma residents begin hard recovery after tornado 27 min ago
- Anthony Weiner to court voters in Harlem Thursday 17 min ago
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- abcnews: Man Shot by FBI Was About to Sign Murder...
- OTRC: 'Man of Steel' trailer, with General Zod
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help