New York News
Unions rally in support of Con Ed workers
NEW YORK -- Locked-out Consolidated Edison workers and other union members pledged to stand together at a Manhattan rally in support of the utility employees.
Tuesday's loud, boisterous rally was held in Union Square in the midst another heat wave blanketing New York City. Joining the members of Utility Workers Union of America Local 1-2 were members of the Transport Workers Union, the United Federation of Teachers, and others who threw their support to the utility workers.
"Your fight is our fight," said Stuart Appelbaum, president of the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union.
"This struggle isn't just about Con Ed workers, it's about all of us," he told the cheering crowd.
The Con Ed workers were locked out on June 30 after their contract expired and negotiations over a new one failed. About 5,000 managers are keeping electricity going for 3.2 million customers in New York City and Westchester County. Talks between the utility and its largest union resumed on Monday.
Neither Con Ed nor the union has indicated any real progress.
Union spokesman John Melia says the company "bowed to public pressure" in reinstating health insurance for the 8,500 locked-out workers. Workers are covered for July, retroactively.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, con ed, new york news
- Snow alert issued for New York City 46 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way 37 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Obamas to attend Tuesday service for Nelson Mandela
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire 56 min ago
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute
- Police hunt driver in deadly Queens hit and run
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Eric Gelinas' OT goal helps Devils beat Rangers
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
37 min ago