New York News
Principal in trouble after meth found in car
NEW YORK (WABC) -- "Edu key", or-education is key -perhaps an appropriate license plate for a high school principal.
On the back seat, the Holy Bible.
However, in the cup holder of the center console, police say they found a Ziploc bag of methamphetamines in the Silver Suzuki belonging to Flushing High School principal Carl Hudson.
When asked if the findings surprised her, neighbor and teacher Robin Addison said that it did.
On Wednesday night at 8:35, a patrol officer pulled Hudson over when he failed to use his turn signal. This happened at the intersection of Northern and Parsons Boulevard just about a block away from the school.
Not only were there drugs in plain view, investigators say they found a glass pipe in the trunk of Hudson's car.
His Suzuki was parked outside, but there was no answer at his home in Jamaica on Thursday.
"It's sad, it's very sad as educators we've somewhat tarnished our reputation as educators...we're struggling," said Robin Addison.
In a written statement, the Department of Education said that he "had been serving in an administrative capacity, and will continue with administrative duties pending the investigation."
Hudson had already been re-assigned because Flushing is one of two dozen turnaround school slated to close. That decision was overturned by an arbitrator last month.
"Everybody is shocked that's Mr. Hudson - a cool principal," said Flushing High School Graduate Kaleb Lewis.
His former neighbor in Harlem says Hudson offered to tutor her son, and the arrest seems out of character to her too.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, flushing, new york news, darla miles
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court 23 min ago
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 59 min ago