New York News
Principal in trouble after meth found in car
NEW YORK (WABC) -- "Edu key", or-education is key -perhaps an appropriate license plate for a high school principal.
On the back seat, the Holy Bible.
However, in the cup holder of the center console, police say they found a Ziploc bag of methamphetamines in the Silver Suzuki belonging to Flushing High School principal Carl Hudson.
When asked if the findings surprised her, neighbor and teacher Robin Addison said that it did.
On Wednesday night at 8:35, a patrol officer pulled Hudson over when he failed to use his turn signal. This happened at the intersection of Northern and Parsons Boulevard just about a block away from the school.
Not only were there drugs in plain view, investigators say they found a glass pipe in the trunk of Hudson's car.
His Suzuki was parked outside, but there was no answer at his home in Jamaica on Thursday.
"It's sad, it's very sad as educators we've somewhat tarnished our reputation as educators...we're struggling," said Robin Addison.
In a written statement, the Department of Education said that he "had been serving in an administrative capacity, and will continue with administrative duties pending the investigation."
Hudson had already been re-assigned because Flushing is one of two dozen turnaround school slated to close. That decision was overturned by an arbitrator last month.
"Everybody is shocked that's Mr. Hudson - a cool principal," said Flushing High School Graduate Kaleb Lewis.
His former neighbor in Harlem says Hudson offered to tutor her son, and the arrest seems out of character to her too.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, flushing, new york news, darla miles
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Metro North trains being removed from accident scene
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Sunday's Yankees vs. Jays game postponed due to weather
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- 3 in custody in connection to Yonkers man's death
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- President Obama gives speech to Morehouse graduates
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers