New York News
Arrest made in 1987 murder of Brooklyn teen
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An arrest was made on Thursday night in the brutal murder of a teenage girl in Brooklyn 25 years ago.
On New Year's Day in 1987, 19-year-old Lissette Torres was found stabbed to death in a lot under the Gawanas Expressway in Sunset Park.
The case was reopened in 2010.
Now, police say they have made a DNA match on the suspect, and 53-year-old Edwin Alcaide was arrested and charged with murder.
Police say the suspect and the victim were acquaintances, and that Alcaide knew Torres' boyfriend. Alcaide was 28 at the time of the murder.Sources say Torres fought with Alcaide before she was killed, and it was tissue samples from under her fingernails that lead detectives to the suspect. Detectives recently ran the samples against the state's DNA databank, and got a hit.
Alcaide is a Level 3 sex offender. He has prior arrests for rape, drug dealing, attempted murder, robbery and sexual abuse. It was that conviction, on a charge of first-degree sexual abuse in 1998 for abusing an 8-year-old boy he was babysitting, that got him in the registry.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, murder, new york news
Also SeeVideo:Possible break in 1987 murder case
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation