New York News
Arrest made in 1987 murder of Brooklyn teen
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An arrest was made on Thursday night in the brutal murder of a teenage girl in Brooklyn 25 years ago.
On New Year's Day in 1987, 19-year-old Lissette Torres was found stabbed to death in a lot under the Gawanas Expressway in Sunset Park.
The case was reopened in 2010.
Now, police say they have made a DNA match on the suspect, and 53-year-old Edwin Alcaide was arrested and charged with murder.
Police say the suspect and the victim were acquaintances, and that Alcaide knew Torres' boyfriend. Alcaide was 28 at the time of the murder.Sources say Torres fought with Alcaide before she was killed, and it was tissue samples from under her fingernails that lead detectives to the suspect. Detectives recently ran the samples against the state's DNA databank, and got a hit.
Alcaide is a Level 3 sex offender. He has prior arrests for rape, drug dealing, attempted murder, robbery and sexual abuse. It was that conviction, on a charge of first-degree sexual abuse in 1998 for abusing an 8-year-old boy he was babysitting, that got him in the registry.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, murder, new york news
Also SeeVideo:Possible break in 1987 murder case
- Newark bus crash leaves 9 hurt, 1 critically 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 8 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark 23 min ago
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
8 min ago