New York News
Police release names of Queens crash victims
PARKCHESTER -- They brought food and company on Monday, but comfort is an elusive thing.
7 of the 8 people in the horrific car accident lived on Baker Street in the Parkchester section of the Bronx.
Police on Monday said an 8-year-old girl, Munachimso Obioha, and a 9-year-old boy, Ebube Obafor-Mba, were killed at the scene of the crash.
Three women - 60-year-old Gladys Nnena Johnson Obioha, 45-year-old Chiwe McDonald and Christine Epchon, age unknown - were also killed.
They were an extended family from Nigeria embracing their American dream together.
On Monday night, they were shattered by loss.
3 o'clock Sunday morning they were leaving a banquet hall in queens when according to police the driver lost control on Atlantic Ave. The Mercedes SUV then hit a metal stanchion before flipping over and crashing in flames.
5 passengers died at the scene. One survived with barely a scratch, while the driver, Oby Okoro and her 7-year-old son, Obioha, Cjidechukwu remain hosptialized.
Eyewitness New is told the driver's 8-year-old daughter, Munachismo Obioha died in the wreckage as did her 9-year-old nephew Ebube Obafor-Mba and other relatives
All this a nightmarish ending to what had been a wonderful weekend of dancing and rejoicing as Nigerians from across the country gathered for their annual convention.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, jamaica, queens, accident, new york news, lucy yang
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville 1 min ago
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field 10 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos