New York News
Hero bus driver who caught falling girl honored
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A New York City bus driver is being honored in a ceremony before Sunday's Brooklyn Cyclones game for his heroic catch.
Steven St. Bernard was outside an apartment building where a 7-year old girl was jumping on top of a third floor air conditioner last week.
Cell phone video captured the dramatic scene as the girl slipped and fell about 30 feet towards the street.
St. Bernard ran underneath and tried to catch her, breaking her fall.
In saving the girl, he suffered a torn tendon in his arm.
As part of the ceremony, the hero is receiving a $1,000 savings bond for his daughter's education.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, coney island, hero, new york news
- Man hacked to death in apparent terror attack 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb? 44 min ago
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Oklahoma tornado damage toll mounting
- Roosevelt Island Peace Officers accused of abusing power 19 min ago
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale 1 min ago
- Jose Canseco investigated for Las Vegas sex assault
- Hats get women ejected from mall
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma