New York News
DNA evidence helps free man of attempted rape
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Kenneth King gets emotional when he talks about his 91-year-old grandmother, and the months he spent locked up unable to see her.
This is time he will never get back.
"If this case didn't happen, she probably wouldn't have gone into depression and I could have been with her every step of the way," said King.
Instead, he was behind bars at Rikers, IDed by a witness who picked him out of a lineup.
He was charged with the attempted rape of a woman last September near a bust stop along the Cross Island Parkway in Whitestone.
A crime in progress was stopped by a former Marine who happened to be in the area.
A police sketch led police to the 41-year-old.
For 9 months, that question was hanging over his head. The Queens DA's office pressed forward with their case against him. It took 7 months before a DNA test was ordered.
"The case was dismissed - the DNA exonerates him. It shows that he was excluded as a person who grabbed that woman's shirt," said District Attorney Scott Dufault.
However, now King says he's living another type of nightmare, trying to clear his name. He acknowledges a troubled past in his 20s including an attempted robbery, which he served time for.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news, jeff pegues
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Metro North crash 56 min ago
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime
- Winning numbers drawn in Powerball jackpot 58 min ago
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos