New York News
DNA evidence helps free man of attempted rape
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Kenneth King gets emotional when he talks about his 91-year-old grandmother, and the months he spent locked up unable to see her.
This is time he will never get back.
"If this case didn't happen, she probably wouldn't have gone into depression and I could have been with her every step of the way," said King.
Instead, he was behind bars at Rikers, IDed by a witness who picked him out of a lineup.
He was charged with the attempted rape of a woman last September near a bust stop along the Cross Island Parkway in Whitestone.
A crime in progress was stopped by a former Marine who happened to be in the area.
A police sketch led police to the 41-year-old.
For 9 months, that question was hanging over his head. The Queens DA's office pressed forward with their case against him. It took 7 months before a DNA test was ordered.
"The case was dismissed - the DNA exonerates him. It shows that he was excluded as a person who grabbed that woman's shirt," said District Attorney Scott Dufault.
However, now King says he's living another type of nightmare, trying to clear his name. He acknowledges a troubled past in his 20s including an attempted robbery, which he served time for.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news, jeff pegues
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler 19 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 17 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
19 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos