New York News
Third arrest made in murder of Bronx child
BRONX (WABC) -- Police have arrested a third person in connection with the deadly shooting of a 4-year-old Bronx child.
The third suspect has been identified as 19-year-old Ronald Jeffrey of the Bronx.
Jeffrey was arrested and charged with murder, and criminal possession of a weapon.
Earlier in the week, police charged 17-year-old Rondell Pinkerton with murder and criminal possesion of a weapon. According to authorities the suspect says he fired his gun in self defense, but it was a bullet from his gun that killed Lloyd Morgan.
Pinkerton was later arraigned and held without bail. The case will be adjourned Monday, July 30th.
On Tuesday Commissioner Ray Kelly said investigators were speaking to the suspect who admitted to not only being on the playground at the Forrest Houses, but also having a handgun.
"(He) admits to shooting rounds at that location, states that it was in self defense because he was being shot at," Kelly said.
Police also arrested 26-year-old Courtney Kelly with attempted murder and criminal possession of a weapon.
Kelly was wounded in the shootout on Sunday night.
The shooting happened before more than one hundred spectators. By the time it was over, detectives tell Eyewitness News at least four people fired at least seventeen shots.
There were so many gunshots, and we ran to the hospital. It's tragic that it had to end like that, that I couldn't bring him home," Morgan's mother, Shianne Norman said.
Norman had been watching the game and lost little Lloyd in the chaos that followed.
Two other victims, including a 27-year-old man was shot in the stomach, while another man was shot in the arm.
Others, including numerous public leaders, were calling for the shooters to surrender to police.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, morrisania, bronx, shooting, new york news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- Success Academy parents to sue in charter school fight 31 min ago
- Obama to meet with Ukraine prime minister Wednesday 15 min ago
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos