New York News
Brooklyn rent prices soaring, experts say
NEW YORK (WABC) -- With buying out of the question for many people, renting is the only option.
Manhattan has typically had some of the highest rental prices, but that may be changing with the growing popularity of Brooklyn.
It's leading some people to move back to Manhattan. Arthur Sanchez, 29, loves the fact that he can bike to work. He couldn't do that when he lived outside Manhattan, but now he's moved to Manhattan from Greenpoint. Like many others facing sky-high rents in places like Williamsburg, Greenpoint and Dumbo, Arthur did a cost-benefit analysis.
"I pay like $200 more, but now, it's just so much easier to get to work," Sanchez said.
They say the price difference between certain parts of Brooklyn and Manhattan is now negligible. Soon, many Brooklyn rents could be pricier. Check out the latest numbers from MNS Real Estate. The change in rent prices for one bedroom apartments is most dramatic. In Manhattan, rent is 4.7 percent higher for one bedrooms than last year. In Brooklyn, the increase since last year for one bedrooms is 9.8 percent. Factor in the commute and, we asked the experts, why stay in Brooklyn???
"It's still very hip. It's just another kind of crowd. It's not the hip artists as much as the people who can spend 32-hundred dollars on a one bedroom, and still want to feel hip," John Brandon of Citi Habitats said.
For others, it's Manhattan's East Side, places like Stuyvesant Town or, on the West Side, Hell's Kitchen that appeal.
Now of course, not everyone can afford the rent across the river in Manhattan either, so what are your other options? Experts say other places in Brooklyn, like East Williamsburg, Bayridge or Bushwick.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, apartment, rents, new york news, stacey sager
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Two more possible bias attacks investigated in New York City
- Accident involving fire truck at accident-prone corner
- Suspected robbery ends with car chase
- Connecticut rail service to return to normal Wednesday
- The return of the Green Card Scammer
- Rangers lose 2-1 to Bruins, now 0-3 in series
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos