New York News
Man killed when lightning strikes church tower
COBBLE HILL (WABC) -- Pieces of the tower fell onto the street and onto the church scaffolding, causing part of it to collapse and fall onto a man, killing him.
The Fire Department says lightning struck the tower of Christ Church on Clinton Street in Cobble Hill around 8:00 p.m. Pieces of the tower fell onto the street and onto the church scaffolding, causing part of it to collapse.
The 61-year-old man who was walking on the street at the time was hit by the falling debris. He was rushed to Long Island College Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
The victim was later identified as Assistant Attorney General Richard Schwartz. He served for over 25 years as as an expert antitrust lawyer in the Office of the Attorney General's economic justice division.
"New York is a better place because of Richard's commitment to fairness and legal excellence. Richard's loved ones are in our thoughts and prayers as we mourn the untimely loss of one of our own," New York Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman said in a written statement.
Police shut down the streets around the church as a precaution in case any more of the scaffolding collapses.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, cobble hill, storm, storm damage, new york news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation