New York News
Gunshot killed teen found dead in Bronx park
BRONX (WABC) -- Police are investigating the death of a teenager, found in a park in the Bronx by his father, as a murder. The 14-year-old boy was shot in the head after gunshots scattered a group of young tennis players in the borough's Baychester section.
On Friday afternoon police confirmed the boy, identified as 14-year-old Kamar Brooks died as the result of a gunshot wound to the head.
His father discovered the body early Friday morning, after he searched the park when his son didn't return home. The boy's tennis racket was by his side.
Relatives say Brooks was a stellar student, and an avid bowler and tennis player, who often practiced at the park.
His father Cassell Brooks, says he waited up to discipline his son, but he never thought his youngest wasn't going to make it home.
"My heart just fell to the ground," he said.
The victims aunt says she warned him of the dangers at the park.
"I said I don't like the way you go to that park every day," she said.
The shooting came just a day after five people were wounded by gunfire at a basketball tournament in Harlem, and less than a week after a 4-year-old boy was killed by a stray bullet at a basketball court in the Bronx.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, death investigation, new york news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard 48 min ago
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying...
48 min ago