New York News
Gunshot killed teen found dead in Bronx park
BRONX (WABC) -- Police are investigating the death of a teenager, found in a park in the Bronx by his father, as a murder. The 14-year-old boy was shot in the head after gunshots scattered a group of young tennis players in the borough's Baychester section.
On Friday afternoon police confirmed the boy, identified as 14-year-old Kamar Brooks died as the result of a gunshot wound to the head.
His father discovered the body early Friday morning, after he searched the park when his son didn't return home. The boy's tennis racket was by his side.
Relatives say Brooks was a stellar student, and an avid bowler and tennis player, who often practiced at the park.
His father Cassell Brooks, says he waited up to discipline his son, but he never thought his youngest wasn't going to make it home.
"My heart just fell to the ground," he said.
The victims aunt says she warned him of the dangers at the park.
"I said I don't like the way you go to that park every day," she said.
The shooting came just a day after five people were wounded by gunfire at a basketball tournament in Harlem, and less than a week after a 4-year-old boy was killed by a stray bullet at a basketball court in the Bronx.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, death investigation, new york news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 7 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos 6 min ago
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
7 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos