New York News
Two children among 6 people shot in Brooklyn
BROWNSVILLE (WABC) -- A community is demanding action after a drive-by shooting in Brooklyn left six people wounded, including two children, on Sunday night.
The shooting took place in the Brownsville section at the corner of Rockaway and Riverdale Avenues just after 7:00 p.m.
Leteria Hinton's 2-year old granddaughter is in the hospital awaiting surgery on her leg. Her father, Michael Prince, was shot too as he shielded the toddler from the bullets with his body.
"This need to come to an end. My granddaughter does not know what happened," Hinton said.
Police say four adults and two children were shot, including a 13-year old boy. Witnesses heard as many as ten shots.
"People were running around screaming 'Oh my God a baby got shot, a baby got shot!'," said Lisa Greene.
Community activists believe that it was a drive by shooting involving gang members, settling a score.
Two of the victims were taken to Kings County Hospital. The other four were taken to Brookdale Hospital. All are expected to survive.
No arrests have been made, but police said they were looking for a white Nissan Altima with Florida plates that may be connected to the shooting.
Members of the Brownsville community rallied for safer streets on Monday as police officers slowly and methodically scanned the block, looking under cars for more evidence.
It's the latest shooting in which children have been injured by stray bullets. Last Sunday, a 4-year-old boy was fatally shot during a gunfight at a basketball game.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, brownsville, shooting, new york news
- Bronx fire leaves 2 dead, 3 firefighters hurt 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 5 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
5 min ago