New York News
Bloomberg puts support behind breastfeeding
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Mayor Bloomberg is once again taking on another health campaign.
First it was smoking and sugary drinks, now the mayor has become an advocate for breastfeeding.
But should the mayor mandate such a personal decision?
LINK: WHAT DO YOU THINK?
"It's too personal to get involved with, in terms of laws," said Adina McGinley.
But the Mayor is making it his business, because he says breast-feeding is much healthier than formula. And most doctors agree.
"We're not making anyone do it. We're suggesting," he said. Bloomberg adds, "And the same thing with sugared-drinks, we're not limiting, I was behind a truck this morning and they said don't limit drinks. We're not limiting. It's just the size of the cup so you can take more cups. In this case if you can do it you do it if you can't."
So for new mothers, doctors will have to sign off on a reason to use formula instead of breast milk.
The city will monitor bottle usage in hospitals and Bloomberg's prohibiting formula promotion in hospitals.
And if you think the mayor interferes too much on things like big sugary-drinks, or smoking in bars or restaurants, and now this, he has no intention of backing down.
"Anything we can think of that will improve your health...life expectancy in New York City is three years greater than it on average in the United States, why don't you just focus on the big number," he adds.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, michael bloomberg, new york news, dave evans
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos