New York News
Bloomberg puts support behind breastfeeding
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Mayor Bloomberg is once again taking on another health campaign.
First it was smoking and sugary drinks, now the mayor has become an advocate for breastfeeding.
But should the mayor mandate such a personal decision?
LINK: WHAT DO YOU THINK?
"It's too personal to get involved with, in terms of laws," said Adina McGinley.
But the Mayor is making it his business, because he says breast-feeding is much healthier than formula. And most doctors agree.
"We're not making anyone do it. We're suggesting," he said. Bloomberg adds, "And the same thing with sugared-drinks, we're not limiting, I was behind a truck this morning and they said don't limit drinks. We're not limiting. It's just the size of the cup so you can take more cups. In this case if you can do it you do it if you can't."
So for new mothers, doctors will have to sign off on a reason to use formula instead of breast milk.
The city will monitor bottle usage in hospitals and Bloomberg's prohibiting formula promotion in hospitals.
And if you think the mayor interferes too much on things like big sugary-drinks, or smoking in bars or restaurants, and now this, he has no intention of backing down.
"Anything we can think of that will improve your health...life expectancy in New York City is three years greater than it on average in the United States, why don't you just focus on the big number," he adds.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, michael bloomberg, new york news, dave evans
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 5 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos 4 min ago
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
5 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos